We had the good fortune of connecting with Paulina Serrato and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Paulina, what do you attribute your success to?
The most important factors behind my success are two things:
1. Service is everything – there’s no point in having the best SEO and branding, if your customer service is poor. I have noticed that by providing great service throughout the process (from initial inquiry email up until follow up after the event) is absolutely key to having happy/returning customers.
2. Take care of your employees, and your employees will take care of your customers – 100% true. If you care for your employees, treat them well, and pay them fairly, the rest will fall into place. They will stay with you, be loyal, take care of the company and most importantly, take care of your customers.
Alright, so for those in our community who might not be familiar with your business, can you tell us more?
Founded in 2016, MANIORPEDI is New York’s Mobile Nail Salon, providing in-office and event manicure and pedicure services to some of the world’s leading companies (e.g. Salesforce, PepsiCo, WeWork, amongst others) in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens.Occasionally we also serve Upstate New York and New Jersey for bigger offices and/or events.
Being a minority- and Latina-owned business, the primary reason why I founded MANIORPEDI was to give manicurists from all cultural backgrounds an opportunity for a better lifestyle.
The three core benefits of being a manicurist with us is: greater wages in less hours worked versus at a normal nail salon, scheduling flexibility to help juggle family commitments, and invitation to inclusive company-wide events throughout the year.
We are very excited to share with you that we are starting our first brick and mortar location in my hometown Tijuana, Mexico. We want to keep the mobile business in NYC for now, and once we have our first location open in Tijuana we would love to open more nail salons throughout Mexico – and maybe one day open one in New York.
Our biggest differentiator from the competition is that all of our nail files, buffers, and wood sticks are one-time use. They come in a little clear plastic bag. After each use, the mani-kit is given to the client to take home, put in the purse, or leave on their desk.
Another differentiator is that we only use long-lasting polishes which makes a huge difference, especially when typing on the computer all day.
We’ve partnered with Safe Horizon and their campaign to help stop domestic violence (#putanailinit), and with the American Heart Association to help women with heart disease problems (#gorednyc). During these partnerships we either donated part of our proceeds or provided pro-bono manicures at certain events.
In 2019, MANIORPEDI was awarded New York City’s Mobile Business of the Year, one of my biggest accomplishments thus far. I have been featured in numerous online publications, such as On The Dot Woman, Luxurlux, and Telemundo’s Mujeres Imparables.
If you had a friend visiting you, what are some of the local spots you’d want to take them around to?
I would take her to Tijuana where we would have so much food, drinks and fun!
We would go to:
-Avenida Revolución to Caesar’s where the original Caesar Salad was invented.
-Palominos – best steak in town!
-Saketori-ya – amazing sushi
– Aramellia Cafe – for an icced dulce de leche latte
– Cinepolis VIP – to watch a movie in the comfort of a nice leather recliner where you get waiters who bring you food and drinks to your seat.
– Puerto Nuevo – buttery freshly-caught lobster
-Valle de Guadalupe – we would definitely stay for the weekend to experience all the food the wine “el valle” has to offer.
– MANIORPEDI (obviously!) – to get the best mani/pedi in town!
Who else deserves some credit and recognition?
My husband Joe, because he represents what the word “entrepreneur” means. He has taught me how to work smarter not harder. He has also taught me so much about business and how to keep my head high, even in situations where you just want to give up. My parents Victor and Cristina, for teaching me the values of commitment, honesty, and compassion.
My siblings Ana Cristina and Victor, for keeping up with me and my crazy idea of starting a mobile nail salon.
Other: Email: email@example.com