We had the good fortune of connecting with Tony Alessandra and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Tony, what habits do you feel helped you succeed?
Habits that helped me succeed are:
1) Persistence – I have a strong desire to succeed and let few, if any, things stand in the way
2) Focus – I have a clear vision on what I want to accomplish and try my best to not get sidetracked by things that pull me off course
3) Resilience – When something goes wrong, which it inevitably does at times, I stay the course and repeat to myself, “This too shall pass”
4) Continuous Self-Improvement – My mother instilled in me the desire to go the extra…inch (not mile). She pushed me to improve each area of my life, such as social, physical, spiritual, financial, etc., by going the extra inch in each life area each and every day. She said enough inches eventually add up to a mile.
5) Optimism – I am a positive thinker and try not to let negative thinking enter my mind or behaviors.
6) Tolerance – I try my best to understand the other person’s point of view without exerting my point of view on them.
7) Flexibility – I believe in The Platinum Rule – treating people the way they want and need to be treated. I flex to try to bridge the gap between my perspective and theirs.
What should our readers know about your business?
Dr. Tony Alessandra has a street-wise, college-smart perspective on business, having been raised in the housing projects of NYC to eventually realizing success as a graduate professor of marketing, Internet entrepreneur, business author, and hall-of-fame keynote speaker. He earned a BBA from Notre Dame, an MBA from the Univ. of Connecticut and his PhD in marketing in 1976 from Georgia State University.
Tony is Founder & Chairman of Assessments 24×7 LLC, a company that offers a variety of online assessments, including the widely used DISC profile, the Emotional Intelligence 360 assessment, Motivators (Values/PIAV) assessment, and several 360º effectiveness assessments.
He is also a prolific author with 31 books translated into over 50 foreign language editions, including the best-selling The NEW Art of Managing People; Charisma; The Platinum Rule®; Collaborative Selling; and Communicating at Work. He is featured in over 100 audio/video programs and films, including DISC Relationship Strategies; The Dynamics of Effective Listening; and Gaining the EDGE in Competitive Selling.
Dr. Alessandra was inducted into the:
• National Speakers Association “Speakers Hall of Fame” in 1985
• Legends of the Speaking Profession in 2009
• Speakers.com Top 5 Sales/ Marketing/ Customer Service Speakers 5 times
• Inaugural class of the Top Sales World Sales Hall of Fame in 2010
• Top 50 Sales & Marketing Influencers in 2012
• #1 World’s Top Communication Guru in 2012
Recognized by Meetings & Conventions Magazine as “one of America’s most electrifying speakers,” Tony’s polished style, powerful message, and proven ability as a consummate business strategist consistently earn rave reviews and loyal clients.
If you had a friend visiting you, what are some of the local spots you’d want to take them around to?
New York City – the restaurants, theaters, museums, neighborhoods, Coney Island, etc. I was born & raised there.
Who else deserves some credit and recognition?
• My late mother, Margaret Alessandra,
• Dr. David Schwartz, PhD,
• Bill Gove,
• Jim Cathcart,
• Rick Barrera,
• Sue Alessandra, my wife of 30 years