We had the good fortune of connecting with Lindsay Curtis and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Lindsay, we’d love for you to start things off by telling us something about your industry that we and others not in the industry might be unaware of?
The average person moves 12 times in their lifetime! Moving and packing usually takes about 3x as long as you think it will once you have collected cardboard boxes and assembled them with tape, arranged them in the truck and flattened at your new home. Unfortunately, cardboard boxes are typically discarded after only a single use. With an estimated 1 million cardboard boxes being used to move in San Diego each year, this is not ideal for anyone. That’s why we started A SMART MOVE so that people can rent moving boxes.
Can you give our readers an introduction to your business? Maybe you can share a bit about what you do and what sets you apart from others?
Oh that’s a loaded question! What sets us apart, other than offering great eco-friendly products, is our priority to provide the best customer service. We come into our client’s lives at one of the most stressful moments they will encounter – moving! We do our best to ‘Calm the Chaos of moving’ by working within their schedules. We provide door-to-door delivery with a smile and guide them through their move with as little stress as possible. Our hundreds of 5 Star reviews would attest that we are doing a good job. It’s never easy in business and being a forerunner in uncharted territory certainly presents unique challenges. Like everyone else, we have good and bad days but the positive response always outweighs the bad. The learning curve is steep, and what worked 7 years ago when we started doesn’t necessarily work in this day and age of technology and communication. With the rise in eco-friendliness consumerism, we feel that San Diego is embracing the movement and our year on year growth would agree. Our clients love that our boxes are made from recycled plastic, providing a better alternative to cardboard while eliminating paper and plastic waste being added to the landfill. To ensure the continued safety of our teams and customers during Covid-19 we have instituted completely contactless deliveries and collections, this is really sad as meeting and greeting our clients is one of our favorite aspects of this business! I very much look forward to the time when we can all get back to normal but for now it’s a necessary precaution. The one thing that has remained the same over the years is how we treat our clients, like a part of our family, and provide the level of service we would be delighted to receive ourselves from any service company.
Any places to eat or things to do that you can share with our readers? If they have a friend visiting town, what are some spots they could take them to?
Well she has so this is easy!
1. Go To The Beach My favorite is Del Mar beach as I love seeing the houses on the waterfront. Watching the sunset is great there, and there are stores and restaurants nearby so there’s a bit of something for everyone.
2. Try a Fish Taco That’s an unwritten law if you are visiting San Diego – Fish Taco or bust!! I’d start out in Point Loma and work from there.
3. Go to In & Out Can you see a theme here? Would obviously have to take her to experience the delights of In & Out – it goes without saying! After that, I would definitely introduce her to the many unique local restaurants.
4. Visit the Zoo With its World-class reputation, we would visit the Zoo. It’s so much fun seeing the Panda’s and other great animals. We’d visit the Zoo early in the morning as that’s when you’re most likely to see the pandas active and not sleeping.
5. Visit Balboa Park After we have visited the pandas at the Zoo, we would head over to Balboa Park. This public playground and cultural center, is where there is a lovely green space and an array of wonderful museums, as well as the famous Old Globe Theatre. I’d go on a Tuesday, when many museums have free admission (need to be checked due to Covid currently) & dine at the Prado Restaurant for great food in a fantastic setting.
6. The Gaslamp District For a night out, we would hit the Gaslamp Quarter in Downtown where there are restaurants to suit every taste, all within walking distance of one another. We love going to ‘The Shout Out’ for a fun night out and Giradells chocolate emporium is well worth the visit!!
7. La Jolla La Jolla, is the seaside enclave that everyone has heard about, and is deserving of its reputation. A beautiful village around a picturesque cove, La Jolla has restaurants and stylish boutiques making for an enjoyable day – and is a must for the seals!! I’d take her there just to smell those – why should we be the only one’s inflicted?
8. Take a Harbor Cruise We would go on a whale watching tour from the Harbor. It’s the only way for you to get an idea of how important the waterfront is to San Diego and to sail on San Diego Bay. Afterwards we would take a walk around Seaport Village and visit all the funky stores. 9. Visit Old Town We would go to Old Town to take in the Historical side of San Diego. We would take the tour bus from there – a 2 hour round-trip journey, where you can get on and off to explore the sights. You can get a full flavor of the city done rather quickly!!
Who else deserves some credit and recognition?
It might sound cliché – but I couldn’t have done it without the support of my loving husband and wonderful children. We moved to San Diego from the UK 12 years ago when my husband was offered a Pharmacist position with Albertsons. So whilst he was working hard, and the children were in school, I spent the first few years building a home and making friends so that we could settle into our new location. Fast forward a few years, I was itching to get back into the workforce and then the opportunity to alleviate the stress of moving while helping the environment happened to present itself. Timing right? As A SMART MOVE has grown from its modest beginnings, my biggest support has come from my family. My husband helps on his days off, my daughters come out wherever necessary, and my son is always a helpful technical advisor. Without their love, support and understanding I would not have been able to flourish as I have and they are all a vital part of the success of A SMART MOVE.
I have very few photos horizontal style but plenty of photos.. please let me know if you want other images, I have thousands.